Thursday, January 9, 2014

Charcoal canister and say goodbye to gas smell

It's time to start on the fuel system. I kind of already did by installing the fuel tank earlier but there are more components to that system. One of them is charcoal canister. This thing acts as a filter for gas fumes. Actually, this component is part of evaporation control system but who cares about the semantics. Most custom cars would skip this entire system for the sake of simplicity. I'll install as much stuff as I can especially since the parts are on my shelf anyways.

Here's the beast:


First things first - cleaning it up. Then, we need to find the good location for it and mount it. The mounting bracket was designed for mustang and, therefore, needed some modifications to work on my car.


The changes include: cutting of the original mounting points, drilling new mounting holes and making that 1.25" hole for rerouted hoses. Of course, the bracket needs a fresh coat of rust paint.


The location is on the driver side under the rear fender. I did not have the aluminum installed there at the time yet. Thus, it was my next step. After some time I had this as the result


It was the time to bolt on the mount. It's held in position with three bolts and spaced out with 1/8" washers to avoid any rattling.



Here's the canister in position. The hose would come from behind throw the pre-cut hole with a grommet. The other hose was simply routed under the aluminum panel. You can barely spot them run behind the bend up flap on the fuel tank.

That's it. No gasoline smell is expected. I get bonus points for being environmentally friendly too.

No comments:

Post a Comment