Saturday, September 22, 2012

I can lift the car now!

It is 100% true. I can lift the mustang by the front bumper. Sadly it has nothing to do with me getting stronger. It is the mustang that has shed a lot of weight.

The last time I gave up on front suspension. Actually, since then I gave up on it a number of times. We, front suspension and I, have a history together. It is never easy between us. In fact, I would rate it as number one job I would hesitate to do on a car. For example, I needed to swap out sway-bar end links on my Subaru since the beginning of this summer. I did do it but in August. You see, I am not particularly strong and car's suspensions is designed to withhold crazy loads. In addition, at the front there are two of my compassionately hated parts: ball joint and outer tie rod end. Now that I come to think of it, on mustang, unlike Subaru the end links are not a problem at all. So, I had to outsmart the mustang since I could not beat it by force. First, ask friends how to remove those two enemies. Their advice only got one tie rod end off. Since I was seeing much progress, I came up with plan B:


That's a front end service kit from Canadian Tire. I have rented that especially for this job. Getting the tie rod end out of the spindle was a blast. In fact I went back to return this kit and ended up buying this:


As you can see, that one of the parts from the kit. That thing is amaizing for popping tie rod ends and ball joints out. I still did fail to remove the ball joint. That sucker had the rubber boot too close to the spindle so I could not stick my magic tool. But this time I got away since I was taking the control arms too.

Everything else did not pose any problems as expected. My impact gun was not strong enough to take the control arm bolts out. I guess 350 lb-ft of torque was not good enough. For cases like that I have another magic tool: breaker bar. Nothing can take that. Bolts gave up easily. In the end - ta dah:


Now I can tick off the steering parts off my "needed parts" list.

If you reflect back: the engine is out, radiator is out, master cylinder is out, power steering is out, now the steering rack and entire front suspension is out... Wait, the front end of the car has only bumper beam left. And that's exactly why I am able to lift it. ;)

Rear axle, here I come...

No comments:

Post a Comment