Monday, November 19, 2012

Zappy job

It's November and it's Canada but it's 17 C out there. Is it a sign? I work at the bank and being the laziest ones out there banks are off for Remembrance day. So I get an unaccounted for long weekend. I kind of found out about it the Friday before. Definitely a sign from the fate to finish off the donor tear down.

The time has come to remove the rear axle. But that's a heavy part. So I put that off the later and I am off to remove all the wires. There's is nothing difficult about removing the wiring harness off of a car. Run around with a flat head screwdriver and a needle nose pliers and pull all the connecters apart. Label them. Label them. Label them. The harness is actually composed of few sections. So tackle one segment at a time.  So that's exactly what I did.

Here's the first:

And then some more



And then some more



The ECU (PCM, EEC, etc, the brain) is a bit of a pain to remove. It's tacked into the passenger side wall. It's a bit too hard to access the screw that's the closest to the firewall. I guess Ford folks put that in first before mounting heater and other accessories there. Luckily, I had no fenders on so that makes it simple to turn the screw out using pliers from the outside.



I think I labeled all I needed. At least I hope I did. The time will show if i missed a critical plug. There are a lot of wires. Some modules are there obviously for air bags and corresponding sensors. Those would need to be stripped out. As well as the remote door and trunk openers, fog lights, heater control, stereo, power convertible top, etc. I bet I could simplify this harness a bit. But that's for after. I would probably have to do it after the car starts and drives. I am too scared removing the wires blindly with out testing. However, if i get bored in the winter time, I might start on simple stuff.

For now, all of that is connected together and in a big box that goes in a far corner of the garage.

That's it. This job is almost too quick. It did not give me enough procrastination before rear axle. I bet I can find something else however.

No comments:

Post a Comment