Thursday, August 8, 2013

Steering rack

It's time to put on some parts that make the collection of parts a drive-able car. First step is the steering rack. The rack comes from the Mustang but needs to be adjusted. The front track of cobra is not as wide as Mustang's. This means that the inner tie rods would need replaced with shorter equivalents. There's also a variation in suspension geometry that creates need for some steering rack extensions. Now, it's time to make it happen. The steering rack's boots must come off to expose the inner tie rods.


I could not find a tool in my garage big enough to take the nut off. I had to make a trip to local Canadian Tire. I got one of these

I don't know how I lived without it. That thing is amazing! Probably one of the best $$$ I've spent on tools. Now armed with my new tool (and a piece of pipe of extra torque :) ), I took off the tie rods. Here's the comparison of old and new parts:


The left is the Mustang original. You can also see the adapter at the end of the right rod. It effectively moves the point where rods bend.

The rest was simple. The parts come together the same way they came off. I had some stainless steel zip ties left overs that I used for boot clamps.


For some reason the original Mustang tie rod ends did not work with the new inner tie rods. But Factory Five included a set of new ones.

I need that red button: "That was easy".

No comments:

Post a Comment