Sunday, November 25, 2012

Fear this

See as a kid, I had an accident when I was playing with gasoline. I had a jerry can open and an open flame a garage. Guess what: I was blown back 3 metres and lost the skin on my face and most of my hair. That incident kind of thought me to respect fuel and fire. In fact, when I did my fuel pump upgrade on my Subaru I did that during the winter when it was -20 C outside. See, I read somewhere that fuel does not evaporate much at that temperature.

Oh well, getting on with it. I mentioned before that I could not get the fuel lines to "quick" disconnect. Previously, during the engine pull, I used a tin can and tin snips to cut out a peace of tin. That peace I would wrap around the fuel line and push it into the quick disconnect. It worked for the fuel rail. Here I was faced with 3 connections. Two at the inline fuel filter and one after the fuel pump. They just would not want to play with me.

Luckily, I know a buddy who has a set of those fuel line disconnect tools. I borrowed the tolls and disconnected the lines. All but the one past the fuel pump. I think there's enough dirt and dust in there that would not let me slide the tool inside. It's still November in Canada, so let's wait for the worm weather to come back to finish that off. There a few nice plastic mounts that hold the rails to the body. I took those off too. I may reuse them on the cobra. With the lines disconnected form both ends and mounts removed the lines simply fall on the floor.



I helped them to the shelf.

Fuel tank is the fun part. First I disassembled the filler neck and unhooked all the hoses around. Surprisingly there's no complexity to that. As a matter of fact, the filler neck simply slides into the grommet. The fuel tank is strapped in with two metal straps. Before undoing those make sure you support the tank some how. I used the wood and the jack but once the straps were loose the tank fell down from my support. No harm since everything was disconnected and there's a plastic protective cover. The only difficulty I faces was draining the tank. I did not spot any drain plugs. So I simply tilted the tank and poured fuel from the filler neck grommet. I had my dad hold the funnel and jerry can. Make sure to use some sort of filter if you are planning to use the fuel. There were some debris on the tank even after brushing it off and wiping it with a cloth. It is definitely a 2 men job. The tank with fuel is not light and is hard to aim at the funnel. I topped off my dad's car after we were done. That's it. The fuel system is off too.

For the next couple of days there was a strong smell of gas in my garage. Even with the fuel tank openings tied off with a plastic bags. I think it's from the fuel lines and some spills that I had. I hope the smell would go away after some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment