Tuesday, November 27, 2012

The dusk of Mustang

It's getting really hard to tell it's a mustang at this point. Some people can't tell the generation of the mustang. Moreover, these are the part buyers, the enthusiast who know their mustangs. The car is light. In fact, it's stopped being a car. Now it's just a shell. I am actually glad that I went with a donor build. This way I got to play with Mustang too. Sure getting all the new and shiny parts is nice but different. Well, that's my opinion for now at least.

The next step is to send the Mustang left overs to the junk yard. That presents the first challenge. How do I get this thing out of my garage if it's missing wheels. I also exaggerated my strength. I pulled out my engine crane and hooked up the rear of the car. Then I when on to lift the front and no dice. The car is still heavy enough. The next challenge is finding somebody to take this shell. I called a couple of car disposal companies and none of those want to take the shell. Autowrekers would take it but at my expense. Some metal recyclers would take it but for free. So after a quick Kijiji search I found the right guy. He offered me $40 for the shell. :) Hell, it's more then nothing. As a bonus, he gave me some tips on how to get the car ready for the pick up.

My dad came up with a perfect solution for moving the car out problem. He sources some dolly wheels and a thick 3' x 6' plywood. We screwed a 2x4 down the center to strengthen the structure and attached the wheels at the corners. With the engine crane we lowered the car shell on our new dolly and carefully rolled it out the garage. I left the crane attached to take on some weight. I had no faith in the dolly.


And I cheated too, if you look closely you can spot the jack under one side. The car did not rest perfectly on the dolly so the jack kept the unsupported side up. So what do I know, the dolly held up and the car made it to the outside. I really like that crane so why not to use it at every chance.


And just like that, the dolly comes out and the plywood goes under. Time to call the scrap guy over but that for another day. That means I can take some trophy pics:


Once again I had to bust out my engine crane to move the shell over to the first garage stall. It would have been very difficult to load the car from where it was originally placed. I also did not want to get the driveway damaged by unnecessary dragging. The scrap guy was running late so it got very dark. I had nothing better to do so I ended up taking to may pictures. I can almost make a time-laps video.







He was pocking jokes at me saying I would start crying over this car and that's what all those pictures are for. He then came to a reasonable conclusion that I had to gather Facebook material. The guy was nice, friendly and cheap. He only gave me $30 after he realized that the car was too stripped down and he would not be able to make much money on it. Frankly, I just needed it gone. So long Mustang!

I did not get attached to that car at all since I never actually drove it. So even after owning one, I still don't know what Mustangs are like. :) Easy to take apart but that's all I learned. Well next steps are less applied. Now I need to wait for the Factory Five to post a special on the kits. I did miss Black Friday deal already. I suspect next one would be around Holidays. Time to cleanup garage ...

No comments:

Post a Comment