Monday, September 29, 2014

It comes alive!

Let's recap: engine and transmission are in and the rear axle has been bolted in for a while now. The missing link is the drive shaft. With that hint in mind, guess what I got for my birthday? Well, I dropped off the original mustang part at Pat's driveline for shortening since the cobra requires about a foot long drive shaft. My dad agreed to pick it up for me once it's done. When it arrived to my house it was wrapped in a box and a bow stuck on. Thanks! What a thoughtful gift. Just what I needed. :) For some reason I did not take a picture of it. Honestly, the drive shaft looks like a drive shaft.

However, this means that I was able to complete my puzzle. The drive line was finished. I filled up the transmission with Mobil 1 ATM fluid. The engine got filled with some dino oil filled with various cleansing agents. Topped with a K&N oil filter it made up my breakin setup. The thinking was to play around with this oil and filter combo and once the car is ready to roll to fill her up with proper oil and the standard white K&N filter. Of course, I took it to the next level but that's for later.

Now, let's get to the exciting part: does it run? After all, a lot of parts were touched by me and that does not always produces desired outcome. I pulled out the box of wires and started to wrap them around the frame. I this time I just wanted to make sure that the connectors click and there is current in the necessary circuits. It does not look pretty but it does not have to yet.




This is what I am looking for:


As my friend said to me: "this was my Christmas tree this year". He was right. I was just as glad and indeed this was last Christmas time. I am horrible at keeping my blog current.

If you expect to hear that the engine fired right up and there was fairy dust in the air I have a disappointment for you. In fact, it was very dead. The only signs of life I got was the cranking of the starter by manually supplying 12v to the trigger. To me that means that the starter is fine but that's about all. The reason for the silence in the garage was Ford's PATS(Passive Anti Theft System). I must have triggered it some how. That means I had sit on my hands until this arrived:


It may sound unexpected but I did not own a generic OBD2 scanner at that time. On the other side, I just got myself an X3. This usually bring up a bunch of questions. I'll try to nail as much as I can right of the bat. No, this thing does not come with canned tunes. Of course, I will be tuning this car. No, I do it myself using SCT's Pro Racer software. I may have Steeda guys or some other tuner look it over once I am done. Returning back to topic, this small scanner allowed me to reset PATS and present you with this video:


He he. I also expected an engine start. As you can see, nope, it did not happen. That's the time when I detected a faulty fuel line. I am glad I took those videos. It made me think more about safety. I am thankful to be report that everything is fine after the fact that the fuel was pouring down next to the sparkling loose wire on the starter. However, my wife made me buy one of this for my garage:


Moving on back to my non cooperating engine. I went on to seek the wisdom on the internet. As usually, ffcars guys helped me out. I did a lot of simple test but in the end I missed the crank position sensor. It was simply not plugged in. Once that connector clicked on I was able to film another video


This is when I reached the first but very fulfilling milestone. I think I'll go have another beer to re-celebrate this event. In retrospect, I think I had a bit too few that night.




No comments:

Post a Comment