Friday, September 12, 2014

Tying down the loose ends with engine installed

Now, with the engine installed, there are a few odd jobs here and there that need to be done. First the fuel line need to be finished. With the engine in place, it's now apparent where it should lead to.


I actually liked the routing. It's far enough from the exhaust manifolds. My fuel is staying cold. However, this time I messed up my flare and caused a fuel leak. I had to buy a new line and a new hose barb. The repair resulted in even further damage:


The new line was pre-flared and the new fitting came in from www.thewrenchmonkey.ca. The result is similar to the above sans the leak.

The next task was to please everyone. My wife being a tree huger would never forgive me for not running all of the possible emissions control systems. On the other hand, any car person would agree that the engine bay should look "clean" and free of "useless junk". Naturally, the vapors purge valve needs to be hidden well.
 

This is actually the spot between the passenger foot box and the engine. It's very close to the bottom 4" frame. Obviously, it's well out of sight. I did however screw it up on the first go. The starter was too close to the valve for my comfort. I had to move it up about an inch and a bit and plug the holes.

One more thing I've noticed is the ground clearance of the oil pan.


Never-mind the hanging power steering bits but notice the silver oil pan hanging just bellow the frame. I could give up and forget about this but I would not be able to clear a speed bump without skipping a heartbeat later. This time again I had to deal with Jeff from Whitby Motorcars. They had the motor mount spacers in about the right height to raise the engine just enough. I send the payment in and after about two month the spacer were home. I was not really in a big rush to install them either. About two more month later, they were installed and in fact did their job. The parts are extremely simple to fabricate but I am glad I purchased them. The thickness of the spacers was spot on. If they were just a notch thicker the steering column would not clear the exhaust manifold. On the other hand, any thinner would leave the pan hanging lower 4" frame.

Summit as usually ensured that I don't sit still for long.


Seems like it's the time to yank the engine back out!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment